Friday, January 6, 2012

Alcohol Infusions: Chai Tea Whiskey

This is my first of many potential posts of delicious and curious Alcohol Infusions.

Several days ago while on one of my favorite websites to just kill some time (stumbleupon.com) I came across an interesting website on how to infuse vodka with Jolly Ranchers Candies and it got me wondering what other alcohols and various foods or drinks I could infuse into them. My first attempt was a delicious success: Chai Tea Whiskey.

To begin I searched if there were any methods online that outlined the process of infusing foods with alcohol. Everything I found pointed in the same direction:

Let the ingredients sit and soak and after several days use a coffee filter to filter out any solids from the liquid and place it in a clean bottle for safe keeping.

My only problem was that every website only expressed candy or fruit or other full flavored solids to infuse with the alcohol. I wanted something much much more. I wanted alcohol that tastes like one of my favorite beverages: CHAI TEA

What I created is one of the absolute best liquors I have had the privilege of tasting.

(Plain Whiskey on the Left/Chai on the Right)

What You'll Need:

  • A bottle of smooth whiskey, nothing with too much of a bite. Preferably something like Black Velvet.
  • A good quality Chai Tea (The bags or loose leaf, not the premade concentrates or liquids)
  • A spoonful of sugar or honey
  • A bottle of suitable size, resealable
  • A coffee filter

Step 1. Begin by putting the tea bag or loose leaf tea in the bottom of your bottle. I used one tea bag of Celestial Seasons Chai Tea for my 8.5oz bottle.

Step 2. Then fill your bottle of suitable size (I used an 8.5oz San Pellegrino bottle I had handy) with the whiskey.

Step 3. Add in the sugar or honey. I used sugar the first time around because I like my Chai Tea to be slightly sweet with the savory taste of the cloves and cinnamon but honey would make an even richer liquor and serve as a great addition to the whiskey and Chai.

Step 4. Place the lid on the bottle and let it sit for several days. To speed up this step you can shake the mixture every few hours or just a couple times a day. ( Sake it 2-3 times a day for 2-3 days)

Step 5. Filter your whiskey. To do this step you'll need a coffee filter and secondary container. Pour the whiskey into the filter and let drain. Once the liquid has all filtered out you'll be left with a container of clear dark gold liquid and a dirty coffee filter. 

Step 6. Pour the filtered whiskey back into your bottle of suitable size (which you've recently cleaned) and put the lid on it. 

Step 7. Serve and enjoy. 

This Chai Tea Whiskey tastes great on the rocks or served up with a little bit of milk or cream. 

Please leave any comments or suggestions :)

1 comment:

  1. If you want some rum with a good taste, then chill it and drink it alone, repeat process as much as necessary. It is really interesting and pretty inexpensive too.
    best tasting liquor

    ReplyDelete